2023 Open Modified Rule Changes
The rules herein shall refer to “Stafford Motor Speedway” as SMS. These rules shall refer to “participant” as any owner, driver, crew member, vendor or fan. Upon entry into SMS, all participants agree to be knowledgeable and bound by the contents found in these 2023 Divisional rules and the SMS 2023 General Rules. These rules supersede and replace any contrary rules as posted by any other sanctioning bodies.
Participants are required to register their car number and engine package/cylinder head manufacturer for the Open Modified feature events. Participants can contact the Stafford Motor Speedway Office (860-684-2783) or register online at www.staffordspeedway.com
- A non-refundable registration fee must be submitted.
- The minimum age for competition is 16 years of age (15 years of age upon prior approval of SMS officials).
- A car may not compete in two different divisions during the same race event.
- The feature event will have a draw for qualifying heat starting position, and will use the USAC plus/minus system of handicapping from the qualifying results for the 26 car feature starting line-up (EIRI).
- Teams are required to use helmets for each of their five team members (maximum) that are allowed to go over the pit wall for any car service.
- There is no fueling or refueling permitted on Pit road / infield.
- Drivers must have a suitable HANS, NexGen, Hutchens, or Simpson Hybrid type head and neck restraint device.
- All drivers personal safety equipment and restraints must be SFI certified and in-date.
- The drivers seat must be a commercially manufactured aluminum containment-type seat. Carbon fiber, or any non-aluminum seat is not permitted.
- All SFI certifications must be clearly visible for inspection.
- All cars must have a fire suppression system installed.
- The interpretation and application of SMS Officials decisions concerning any rules or references to NWMT or MRS rules during and after each event is final and non-appealable.
- Please see the SMS 2023 General Rules for additional safety rules and procedures.